What’s the Difference Between Single Trip Cover and Annual Cover?

13th August, 2021, in Global Hire Advice

There are many different options available when you are getting car insurance and picking the right type of cover can be confusing. If you’re hiring a car, the insurance will usually be included in your package. However, many drivers find themselves getting stung with high excess costs from hire car insurance packages if their car is damaged or stolen.

Car hire excess insurance protects you from these excessive costs. You can find out more about how car hire excess insurance works in our blog. Our below guide can help you to decide whether you need single trip cover or annual cover for your car hire excess insurance needs.

Single Trip Cover

Single trip cover does exactly what it says on the tin – it will cover your car hire excess costs for a single trip you make. You will only be covered from the start date of your tip and your cover will end once your trip ends. You will need to confirm the dates when you apply for the cover. There will usually be a time limit on the length of your trip you’ll be covered for and can range anywhere from one month to three months, depending on the provider.

You will also have to confirm your destination when applying for the policy and you will only be covered when you’re in that specific place. Direct Car Hire Excess provides worldwide car excess insurance so you can get protected from high excess fees wherever you are in the world.

Single trip cover is usually cheaper than annual cover. However, if you take more than one trip a year, the costs can really start to add up. Plus, you’ll have to apply for a new policy every time you travel. If you are hiring a car abroad multiple times in a year, you may find it’s cheaper to get annual trip cover.

Annual Trip Cover

Purchasing annual trip cover will mean you are covered for 12 calendar months from the date you select your cover to start. You can take as many trips as you like during these 12 months with the peace of mind that your excess charges will be covered with car hire excess insurance.

Direct Car Hire Excess provides annual plans for car hire excess insurance europe and also worldwide travel, so you can find the right excess cover for your travel plans. It’s important to choose the destination type carefully for your annual cover, as the insurance will only be valid for that specific area. For example, if you have European cover but you hire a car in Australia and need to make a claim, you will not be covered.

Annual car excess insurance can work out cheaper per trip if you travel a lot within the 12 months. Annual cover also means that you only have to apply for one insurance policy and you can then travel for the rest of the year knowing your hire care excess charges will be covered.

Should I Get Single Trip or Annual Cover?

Whether you get single trip or annual cover for your car hire excess insurance will depend on your situation. If you know you will only be hiring a car once in a year, if will be worth getting single trip cover. However, if you know you will be hiring a car multiple times, or it is likely you will need car hire excess insurance for more than one trip, it will be worth getting annual cover.

Direct Car Hire Excess can help you with your car hire excess insurance for whatever trip you are planning. Contact us to discuss what you need or get a no-obligation quote today.

© Strategic Insurance Services Limited 2024 | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions