Car Hire Excess Insurance FAQs
At Direct Car Hire Excess, we are frequently asked questions about our service and the car hire insurance industry. We have put together some frequently asked questions and our answers – if you have any further questions please contact us.
What is car hire excess insurance?
Car hire excess insurance is extra insurance coverage that you can opt to include when hiring a car abroad or at home. It covers you for the excess you may be liable for should your hire car be stolen or damaged.
It’s essentially an additional insurance policy that protects you against the large excess charges.
To get your car hire excess insurance quote, head to our booking form.
Is car hire excess cover compulsory?
No, car hire excess cover is optional but recommended if you want the peace of mind of being protected against high excess fees in the case of damage to the car.
Find out more about car hire excess insurance.
Does travel insurance cover car hire excess?
A standard travel insurance policy will not generally cover you for car hire or car hire excess when abroad. Car hire insurance may be offered as an extra but it’s very rare.
Your car hire rental company will provide a basic level of car hire insurance but car hire excess insurance almost always has to be purchased additionally.
Purchase your car hire excess insurance today.
How much is excess on a hire car?
Excess can be anywhere from £200 – £2000, and sometimes higher but it very much depends on the car you choose and where you are hiring it from.
If you’re worried about the possible excess costs, protect yourself with car hire excess insurance.
What is Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)?
A collision damage waiver or loss damage waiver is an optional damage insurance cover available to you when you hire a car. However, most of these insurances do not cover excess fees that you’ll face if you cause any damage to the rental car.
What is covered with Direct Car Hire Excess Insurance?
Direct Car Hire Excess will protect you against hefty excess charges should your rental car get stolen or damaged. Whether you choose single trip or annual cover you’ll be instantly protected.
Please see the table below to see what is covered in each package:
|Currency*||GBP, EUR or USD||GBP, EUR or USD||GBP, EUR or USD|
|From**||£/€/$1.80 per day||£/€/$2.25 per day||£/€/$2.63|
|Admin Charge Cover||✔||✔||✔|
|Personal Accident Cover||✖||✔||✔|
|Personal Possessions Cover||✖||✔||✔|
|Drop Off Charges||✖||✔||✔|
|Lock Out Cover||✖||✖||✔|
|Road Rage Cover||✖||✖||✔|
|In Country Rental||✖||✖||✔|
What is the eligibiility criteria for car hire excess insurance?
To be eligible for car hire excess insurance:
- you must be aged between 21 and 84 only
- you must hold a full and valid, internationally recognised driving license
- you must be eligible to rent and drive the rental vehicle and adhere to the terms of the car rental agreement
- you must be named on the rental agreement
- the policy must cover the entire rental period
- you must purchase cover before your car rental agreement starts
- you must obtain pre-authorisation for excess reimbursements over £5,000
Can you cover me for driving in Europe?
Yes, we provide car hire excess cover for single and multi-trips across Europe and Worldwide.
What am I NOT covered for?
We provide comprehensive cover but there are a few exclusions:
- damage caused by a known third party
- drivers not named on the rental agreement
- damage or theft that occurs outside of your chosen area
To find out more get in touch.
When and how do I pay for my car hire excess insurance?
You can pay for your insurance by using a debit or credit card. You will not be covered for any claim if you have not paid your premium.
Can I buy car hire excess insurance if my car rental has already begun?
You can only purchase car hire excess insurance before you rent a car abroad. Get a quote today.
What is the maximum limit on the policy?
With Direct Car Hire Excess we offer three different policy levels; Basic, Standard and Deluxe. The highest coverage is capped at £/€/$50,000. Check out the different levels in our benefit schedule now.
How long am I covered for?
Your policy start and end date will be detailed in your Schedule of Insurance. Annual customers are covered for a 12-month period whereas any other policy duration is chosen by you.
How can I make a claim?
Please visit the Make a Claim page on our website to start a new claim or view the progress of a current claim.
Can I cancel my car hire excess insurance policy?
You can cancel your insurance policy within 14 days of receipt of the policy documents. You will receive a full refund once you have let us know via +44(0) 20 8181 3815 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You must notify us no later than the start date of the cover shown on your insurance documents/certificate.
Latest Blog Posts
- When hiring a car overseas it is always best to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. Whether you’re abroad on business, visiting family and friends, or enjoying a holiday, renting a car can make for an even more enjoyable experience. However, it is no secret that hiring a car ...
- When renting a car abroad especially, we are easy targets for thieves. Firstly, most hire cars will have a branded sticker which makes your rental car easily identifiable. The key to stopping theft of a rental car is to not provide opportunity. The first step is awareness, so you ...
- When you rent a car abroad, one of the most stressful times can be finding somewhere to park. You want somewhere that is fairly close to your destination, that is also safe, cheap and legal. We’ve put together this handy guide so that you can avoid additional costs when ...